Mission Not Impossible


The goal is to get my family in a house of our own by Christmas! I've got an imaginary board of directors to help and I'm willing to do whatever is legal and moral to make this happen! If a guy can get a house with "One Red Paperclip," I think I can do it too!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

5 AM on a Saturday

It's 5 o'clock on a Saturday.... sounds kind of like a song doesn't it. I've tried to fall back asleep but it's not going to happen. Between thinking about houses and allergies from the grain dust in the air, my eyes are wide open if not my nasal passages.

I found a house in town we really like. I REALLY LIKE, I should say. All my life I've been drawn to fixer uppers. I was willing to live in any old dump if I could see the potential. We'd end up with something that needed some basic cosmetics but not majorly disgusting thanks to my husband's good judgment. This time around I wanted perhaps the prettiest house in town- at least from the inside. I wanted everything about it except for the price. This is a real beauty, including the price. After getting the tour, it inspired me to start this quest for a house for Christmas.

Yesterday we looked at a foreclosure. It could be a really nice house but it needs a lot of work. It's big enough, kind of different floor plan and reminds me of the polygamist's house we looked at in Chester, ID when we first moved into the area. That house had a REALLY funky floor plan, including a mini master bath and huge wives bathroom but I could see "potential". I love that this house has 5 bedrooms and is close to having 2 full bathrooms- just needs the old shower area removed and the new framed in bathtub area completed. It stinks, literally, but with all the carpets pulled out and some modern KILLZ? on the floors, new carpet again and paint, it would be OK. Actually it might be quite lovely once you gut the kitchen and finish everything that needs finishing like taping, texturing, ripping out ugly bushes, pruning, landscaping.... the list is pretty long... but for the price it has to be on the "list".

John said for the most part he'd be willing and able to take it on if he wasn't commuting 4 hours a day. That it would be fun to putter around, fix the house and write a bit each day. I said if gas prices keep going up he might have to retire and instead of spending that $30 for gas every day we could afford to buy this place :)

I'm just not sure when it's all said and done that this is the house I want. Last time we bought a house I didn't like I was depressed without knowing it for seven years. A 960 square foot mobile was not my dream home with three kids and pregnant with my fourth and it totally wasn't a dream home, more like a nightmare, when we had six little ones. Thank Goodness! Literally for the three acres it sat on and that after those 7 years we were able to build a big beautiful lovely home. The sacrifices of the past just kind of melted away as we enjoyed our palatial palace for two years before moving.

Finally I'm getting tired. Hope you all have a great weekend. Once Bethany heads off to nanny in New York on Tuesday I'll really be a empty nester during school hours and get down to business. Wishing you all the best.

Always,
Vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment